All surfaces must be clean, firm and free of dust, dirt, oil, grease and loose flaking coatings. Some surfaces may need additional preparation before application:
- Gypsum finishing plaster should be at least 4 to 6 weeks old, thoroughly dry and wiped clean of dust, efflorescence and loose flaking material.
- Highly polished (shiny) plaster surfaces should be roughened with a stiff brush, removing all loose fines.
- All plaster and porous masonry surfaces should be primed with a tile primer diluted as 1 part to 3 parts with water and allowed to dry.
- All wood based surfaces, (plywood and composite panel-boards) should be dry, sealed on all exposed faces and edges and then primed using a tile primer as 1 to 3 parts water. Timber boarding should be waterproof rated, 15mm thick and be firmly fastened down before application.
- Remove areas of unsound (emulsion based) paint from walls and when tiling over existing tiles ensure they are securely fixed in all areas. Thoroughly clean and dry tiled, or non-porous surfaces and slightly score out joints to provide a key.
Goldfix wall tile adhesive should be applied to a maximum bed depth of no more than 3mm, using a 6mm notched trowel to form horizontal ribs on the wall surface. Soon for the tiles to be pressed against the wall with a slight twisting action to ensure a good contact.
Only spread sufficient adhesive to cover an area that can be tiled over within the following 20 minute period. Pressing int he tiles should result in an adhesive bed no thicker than 3mm and check to ensure a minimum contact area of 75% is achieved between the surface and tile.
Coverage & Drying Times
Depedning on the surfcae conditions, a notched trowel application will cover at the rate of about 1.6kg per square metre
- Coverage of tub: 9.4m² (Approx)
On porous surfaces allow 24 hours for the adhesive to dry before grouting. However on non porous surfaces, such as existing tiles and ply board, leave the tile joints open for up to 7 days to allow the adhesive to dry before applying grout.
Always promptly clean down any excess adhesive from the tile face with a damp cloth. Tools and protection equipment should be immediately washed with warm soapy water and left to dry.
Store in a cool dry place. Protect packaging from punctures or piercings. Any exposure to air will start the curing process. Do not store in direct sunlight.
12 months from date of manufacture when stored in unopened containers in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.